This workspace is meant for thesis/dissertation supervising. A student submits drafts and a supervisor comments them. After a submission a Turnitin similarity report is generated automatically. The report shows similarities between texts of the submission and sources of the comparison databases. The report supports scientific writing and prevention of plagiarism. Please, read Aalto University Turnitin instructions, especially how to interpret a Turnitin similarity report.
The final version of the thesis can be submitted in a separate inbox where both the similarity report is generated and the paper is stored in Turnitin student paper repository where it is protected against plagiarism.
From idea to your master's thesis project start: what you should know
If you are considering to start a master's thesis project soon and looking for suitable topic and position for your master's thesis project, it is important to know:
1. Whether you meet formal requirements to start a master's thesis project (and can apply for topic approval).
2. What types of master's thesis works are done at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation.
3. Read what to do once you find a topic/position for your master's thesis and brief information about master's thesis projects done at School of Electrical Engineering (information for students and advisors from companies).
How to get started?
Professors of the department may have suitable positions/projects for your master's thesis.
In this case, contact directly one of professors and express your wish to do Master's thesis work. If there is suitable position for you, initial meeting is arranged and Master's thesis project starts.
You find a possible master's thesis topic/position by yourself (possible position can be in Finland or abroad, either to a company or another university, or it can be a topic of student's own interest).
In this case:
1. Find a supervisor for your master's thesis by contacting one of Aalto University professors.
Typically, as a supervisor acts a professor from the School of Chemical Engineering. Student can find suitable supervisor by checking research groups and their topics at School of Electrical Engineering or by asking the professor in charge of major about the right person to supervise your master's thesis.
Note: In case, for some reasons, a professor from another Aalto School is going to supervise your master's thesis, it has to be confirmed by the professor in charge of the major.
2. The supervisor evaluates that the thesis and topic meets all aims and requirements set by the School of Electrical Engineering, estimates duration of the project and agrees to supervise your master's thesis.
If an external company is involved into Master's thesis:
Aalto University has made a contract template to be used when students agree upon making a master’s thesis with an external collaboration organisation. It should particularly be noted that the contract is always made between the student and the external organisation and it should be communicated to the thesis supervisor. The contract includes, for instance, provisions on the copyrights of the thesis.
This section helps you to work on your master's thesis project
It is time to working on the thesis: you do all the work related to your research topic. It involves exploring your research topic and implementation of your research plan, performing experiments, and writing drafts of your future master’s thesis.
Please find in this section:
1. Key steps for this stage of your master's thesis project, find information about what kind of help you can get with information retrieval and academic writing and what services you can find at Aalto to support your writing skills
2. Information on structure of your master's thesis report and fragments from master's thesis works done at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation (recommended by Department's Professors)
This section helps to complete your master's thesis project
Please find in this section:
1. Everything you need to know about the master's thesis presentation
2. Maturity test: how to write it
3. What questions are discussed at close-out meeting
4. Everything about finalizing your master's thesis report and submitting it for evaluation and approval (you can apply for graduation at the same time if you have completed all courses)
Now it is time to reflect on your Master's thesis project and think about future prospects
Career Planning Exercises - self-help material is designed to help you to process the key elements of career planning individually
In this section we ask you few questions about your experience:
1. Feedback about your user experience of Master's thesis Assistant. Give us feedback and help us to develop it further!
2. Share your Master's thesis writing experience with other students and help further Master's thesis worker by giving them piece of advice.