WELCOME TO TEACHING PRACTICE COURSE // TERVETULOA OPETUSHARJOITTELU-KURSSILLE!
The goal of the teaching practice is to develop participants' teaching skills. In the course you have an opportunity to try new approaches or teaching methods under guidance and receive feedaback on your teaching. You will observe your peers' teaching and learn from them. When you reflect on your and your peers' teaching you develop your teaching competence and yourself as a teacher.
The course begins with a kick-off meeting on the 24th August 2020, 9.00 - 12.00.
Place: online in Zoom
The schedule of the peer group meetings will be agreed in the kick-off meeting.
The course comprises the following elements:
DEADLINE FOR THE FINAL ASSIGNMENT/REPORT
- Kick-off session (Monday 24.8.2020 at 9.00-12.00),
- Peer-group meetings (4 meetings),
- Teaching observations: observing your peers' teaching and providing oral and written feedback on their teaching,
- Teaching observations: observing other teaching including teaching in upper secondary school (LUKIO) or university of applied sciences (AMK),
- own teaching: practical implementation of the teaching practice,
- compiling teaching practice plan including own teaching philosophy, course design, peer feedback, and reflection of observations.
- joint, final session Monday 14.12.2020 at 9.00-11.00
Return your final version of the teaching practice plan in the inbox below at the latest on Friday 18.12.2020
But, if you do not have any challenges with your own schedule, you can return it by the earlier date (Monday 14.12.)
Kirsti and Riikka
- Kirsti Keltikangas (ELEC), teacher-in-charge, (at) aalto.fi, tel. 050 408 5288
- Riikka Evans (BIZ), (at) aalto.fi, tel. 050 513 3160
The members of the group:
- Caterina Soldano (ELEC)
- Jan Deska (CHEM)
- Luc St-Pierre (ENG)
- Tuomas Siitonen (ARTS)
- Ivan Vujaklija (ELEC)
Pienryhmän jäsenet/Members in the small group
- Imran Ashgar, SCI
- Tua Björklund, ENG
- Ilkka Laakso, ELEC
- Weiwei Lin, ENG
- Edris Pouresmaeil, ELEC
- Tarik Taleb, ELEC
Please, submit the final version of the report
FINAL DEADLINE BY FRIDAY 18.12.2020
Options to observe teaching outside Aalto:
Upper secondary schools
Haukilahden lukio (located in Otaniemi) - teaching in Finnish
You can find a separate list of teachers who you can contact
Etelä-Tapiolan lukio IB (International Baccalaureat) - located in Ahertajantie, Tapiola (Espoo) - teaching in English
(physical location: same building as WeeGee/Emma modern art museum)
List of teachers whom you can contact separately attacted under "Other teaching observations"
AMK's (Universities of applied sciences)
DIAK (https://www.diak.fi/en/) - Diaconia University of Applied sciences, Helsinki campus located in Kyläsaari/Arabia
contact person in Diak (Bachelor degree in Social Sciences) lecturer Hanna Lamberg (email@example.com)
We are waiting for some more names from them
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences (in capital region Espoo/Vantaa/Helsinki) - update 5.11.2020
Contact information: Senior lecturer Heikki Valmu, located in Myyrmäki (Vantaa) campus
Teaches electrical engineering courses in English, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, area in Finnish puhdas ja älykäs teknologia
You can mail him directly and ask for his courses' times (either live or online with Zoom)
In the phone call he said he is very busy, but tries to reply as soon as he can.
THE BASIC IDEA/PROCESS
1. You will find teacher's name/course from these lists
2. You will mail to this teacher and ask for a possibility to observe her/his course/teaching.
Ask for several time options. You can also present yourself by telling your position (" I am professor/lecturer in field X and teach these topics etc.")
3. The teacher replies and hopefully suggests options.
4. You together will set the time & course.
5. You will observe the course either live or online depending on the situation.
6. After this session, you two could have a short session (e.g. Zoom) where you can ask more/or give constructive feedback/your thoughts what you observed.
7. You yourself will write a short summary/description each of these outside observations to you personal teaching report (DL 11.12.2020).
Pls see the report structure in our first session slides. All these outside observations should be done by the end of November.
In December, all these institutes will have their assessment periods as well, when they do not have "normal" teaching anymore.