1. The Zoom links for the exercise sessions are shown on the table below. Assignment sheets for the exercises can be found at the bottom of this page.
The course grade (0-5) is determined based on the total of exam points (0-24) and exercise points (0-6),
- Total points = exam points + exercise points.
- 15 total points <-> grade 1
- 16 total points <-> grade 2
- 19 total points <-> grade 3
- 22 total points <-> grade 4
- 25 total points <-> grade 5
Additionally, grade 1 is also awarded to those who get 12 points from the exam alone.Note, especially, that the highest grade (5) can not be obtained without any exercise points. The reason for this is that learning to use R, and learning to conduct statistical analysis in practice are essential learning goals of the course.
The exercise points are valid in all exams organized during the year 2021.
You may take with you in the exam your writing equipment and one A4 of hand-written notes. The rules for the note are: size A4, text on one side only, must be hand-written, your name is written on the top right corner of the note.
There are several exercise groups in the course. Please attend one of them weekly and arrive in time in order to get exercise points from the homework.
news for 2021 spring course: the homework marks are
checked at the beginning of each Zoom exercise session with attendance
list which is filled at the beginning of each exercise session using
MyCourses attendance box. One
is then randomly selected to present their work. The presentation can be
code, powerpoint show, whiteboard drawing, photograph of your
hand-written solutions, latex, word, live drawing with paint - which
ever you prefer as long as you are confident to give a short explanation
of your work (we strongly encourage you to make and present your
homework solution with / as R code). Please remember that your solution
does not need to be
correct - an attempt is enough - and that the assistant is there for you
to complement and help to communicate your work if needed
You can find the group times and locations in WebOodi.
Assistant emails are of the form email@example.com.
The course exercises consist of two kinds of problems, homework problems and class problems.
- Homework problems: the first problem(s) of each week's exercise sheet is a homework problem which must be completed before that week's exercise session. Bring your solution to the homework problems with you to the exercise sessions (exception: first week's exercise). In the beginning of the exercise session, the course assistant will randomly ask some people who have solved the homework problem to present their solutions to everyone.
- Class problems: the remaining problems of each week's exercise sheet are class problems that will be solved together in the exercise sessions.
Additionally, some of the homework and class problems are optional. And although no points will be awarded from them, you are still heavily encouraged to go them through.Exercise points will be awarded from the sessions as follows:
- 1/2 exercise points, if you actively attend the exercise session and had completed the week's homework problem.
- 1/4 exercise points, if you actively attend the exercise session but had not completed the week's homework problem.
If none of the exercise group times is suitable for you but you would still like to get the exercise points, contact the head assistant (Paavo Raittinen) by e-mail. Note that you need an extremely good reason for getting the points without attendance!