This is an introductory course for nanomaterials and the topics include for example stability, adsorption&self-assembly, nanochemistry and material properties at nanoscale. The course includes also a compulsory Science Project where students write a research plan of a selected nanotopic studied in CHEM school (the performance of the work in the lab is NOT done nor needed in this course).
All the lectures and exercises are now complete for this autumn,
so no more ZOOM sessions in this course before the exam.
Thank you for participating in the course.
NANOMATERIALS COURSE BOOKS (check Lecture 1 slides for the chapters):
(NOTE! Science Project reading material can be found from Science Project page, not from this page)
- G. Cao, Y. Wang: Nanostructures and Nanomaterials - Synthesis, Properties and Applications, World Scientific 2004. Knovel E-kirja/E-book
- M.F. Ashby, P.J. Ferreira, D.L. Schodek: Nanomaterials, Nanotechnology and Design - An Introduction for Engineers and Architects, Elsevier 2009. Elsevier E-kirja/E-book
- R.D.J. Tilley: Understanding Solids, John Wiley & Sons 2013 Ebook Central Academic Complete International Edition
- Barry W. Ninham and Pearandrea Lo Nostro: Molecular forces and self-assembly in Colloid, Nano Sciences and Biology, Cambridge University Press 2010. Knovel E-kirja/E-book
- B.S. Murty, P. Shankar, B. Raj, B.B. Rath, J. Murday, Textbook of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Springer 2013. Springer E-kirja/E-book
OTHER COURSE MATERIAL (also for lectures and exam):
Properties at Nanoscale:
Thermal - 1. H. Li, P.D. Han, X.B. Zhang, M.Li, Size-dependent melting point of nanoparticles based on bond number calculation, Materials Chemistry and Physics 137 (2013) 1007-1009:
read chapters 1-2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2012.11.016
Nanotoxicity (not to exam but to exercises)
1. H. Hu, D. Li, Y. Gao, L. Mu, Q. Zhou, Knowledge gaps between nanotoxicological research and nanomaterial safety, Environment International 94 (2016) 8–23:
read chapters 1-3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2016.05.001
Read before Nanotoxicity lecture (not for exam):
Li et al., Adv. Mater. 20 (2008) 138–142. http://bib.fi/um4rVQ
Connor et al., Small 1 No. 3 (2005) 325 –327 http://bib.fi/gMQCjQ