WELCOME TO TEACHING PRACTICE COURSE // TERVETULOA OPETUSHARJOITTELU-KURSSILLE!
The goal of the teaching practice is to develop participants' teaching skills. In the course you have an opportunity to try new approaches or teaching methods under guidance and receive feedaback on your teaching. You will observe your peers' teaching and learn from them. When you reflect on your and your peers' teaching you develop your teaching competence and yourself as a teacher.
The course begins with a kick-off meeting on the 8th January 2021, 9.00 - 12.00.
Place: online in Zoom
The schedule of the peer group meetings will be agreed in the kick-off meeting.
The course comprises the following elements:
DEADLINE FOR THE FINAL ASSIGNMENT/REPORT
- Kick-off session (Friday 8.1.2021 at 9.00-12.00),
- Peer-group meetings (4 meetings),
- Teaching observations: observing your peers' teaching and providing oral and written feedback on their teaching,
- Teaching observations: observing other teaching including teaching in upper secondary school (LUKIO) or university of applied sciences (AMK),
- own teaching: practical implementation of the teaching practice,
- compiling teaching practice plan including own teaching philosophy, course design, peer feedback, and reflection of observations.
- joint, final session May 7th, at 9.00-11.00
Return your final version of the teaching practice plan in the inbox below at the latest on the 3.5.2021
Tiina, Riikka and Samu
- Tiina Pylkkönen (ARTS), teacher-in-charge, (at) aalto.fi, tel. 050 520 1033
- Riikka Evans (BIZ), (at) aalto.fi, tel. 050 513 3160
- Samu Tikkanen (ELEC), (at) aalto.fi, tel. 050 338 2019
In addition to writing the midterm version and finalversion of the report (see sections below) there are assignments that are connected to observing teaching and giving and receiving feedback:
The members of the group:
Pienryhmän jäsenet/Members in the small group
Group meeting timetables:
1st meeting: 16.2. at noon: David's feedback
2nd meeting: 4.3. at 11 am: Samuel's feedback
3rd meeting: 16.3. at 1 pm Osiris' feedback
4th meeting: 29.4. at 2 pm: Antti's feedback
Please add your teaching timetables to the table below
Please, submit the midterm version of the report
Please, submit the final version of the report
FINAL DEADLINE 3.5.2021
Options to observe teaching outside Aalto:
Upper secondary schools
Haukilahden lukio (located in Otaniemi) - teaching in Finnish
You can find a separate list of teachers who you can contact
Etelä-Tapiolan lukio IB (International Baccalaureat) - located in Ahertajantie, Tapiola (Espoo) - teaching in English
(physical location: same building as WeeGee/Emma modern art museum)
List of teachers whom you can contact separately attacted under "Other teaching observations"
AMK's (Universities of applied sciences)
DIAK (https://www.diak.fi/en/) - Diaconia University of Applied sciences, Helsinki campus located in Kyläsaari/Arabia
contact person in Diak (Bachelor degree in Social Sciences) lecturer Hanna Lamberg (email@example.com)
We are waiting for some more names from them
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences (in capital region Espoo/Vantaa/Helsinki) - update 5.11.2020
Contact information: Senior lecturer Heikki Valmu, located in Myyrmäki (Vantaa) campus
Teaches electrical engineering courses in English, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, area in Finnish puhdas ja älykäs teknologia
You can mail him directly and ask for his courses' times (either live or online with Zoom)
In the phone call he said he is very busy, but tries to reply as soon as he can.
THE BASIC IDEA/PROCESS
1. You will find teacher's name/course from these lists
2. You will mail to this teacher and ask for a possibility to observe her/his course/teaching.
Ask for several time options. You can also present yourself by telling your position (" I am professor/lecturer in field X and teach these topics etc.")
3. The teacher replies and hopefully suggests options.
4. You together will set the time & course.
5. You will observe the course either live or online depending on the situation.
6. After this session, you two could have a short session (e.g. Zoom) where you can ask more/or give constructive feedback/your thoughts what you observed.
7. You yourself will write a short summary/description each of these outside observations to you personal teaching report (DL 3.5.2021).
Pls see the report structure in our first session slides.