- Culture and communication
- Teaching and learning in a multicultural environment
- Diversity and unconscious biases
- Teaching through English
After the course the teacher:
- will be aware of the impact of culture on learning and communication
- will recognize how their own cultural background may influence learning and communication
- will have better understanding how to teach multicultural students groups
- will have a more in depth view of the students' situation
- will be more aware of unconscious biases and diversity
- will have more confidence in teaching in English
- will have more experience of multicultural teamwork in practice
Teaching and learning methods on this online course include introductions to new topics, group work, experimentation through practice, demonstrations, case examples and peer feedback. Participants are encouraged and expected to have an active role in their learning process.
To pass this course you have to:
- Introduce yourself in a short video to the rest of the group
- Participate in online sessions and group project & present the group project
- Do your online teaching session in English
- Summarize your experiences in a min. two page reflection
Schedule Weekday Date Time Location Zoom IDs Wednesday April 14 12-15 Online 62629174862 Wednesday April 28 13-15 Online 62629174862 Wednesday May 12 13-15 Online 62629174862 Wednesday May 26 13-15 Online 62629174862 Wednesday June 9 12-15 Online 62629174862
Here you will find the forum for introductions. Please have your introduction uploaded by April 12.
I also added a forum for project topics, since this is the easiest way to do it.
Here are two different discussion boards, one for the "Best Practices" where you can share things you've tried and seen working well. The other one is to share you so-called "Culture Bumps", how you invited a Dutch researcher to your summer house and he couldn't sleep all weekend for the fear of bears or some other culture-bound issues.
1. Learning blogs/vlogs, one after each contact session. If you are absent, please go through the slides, check for extra material in "Materials" folder and formulate your blog (vlog) based on those
2. Short video teaching session
3. Group project (groups will be formed) with group presentation
Please familarize yourselves with material dated "April 29" in the "Materials" folder.