The course aims to address the following questions:
- What is the current supervision process in your department / school?
- What information should be included in a MSc thesis and where?
- What are the steps and milestones in the thesis writing process?
- What resources are available for supervisors to aid the process?
- How to supervise topics from industry?
- How to avoid crises and procrastination in the thesis process?
The course will be completed either with 3 or 5 credits depending on your own schedule and interests.
CS 1 Thursday 21.1.2021 at 9.00-12.00
CS 2 Wednesday 17.2.2021 at 9.00-12.00
CS 3 Wednesday 10.3.2021 at 9.00-12.00
CS 4 Thursday 25.3.2021 at 9.00-12.00
CS 5 Wednesday 14.4.2021 at 9.00-12.00
CS 6 Thursday 6.5.2021 at 9.00-12.00
Themes for the sessions
CS 1 Current state of affairs [in supervision]
CS 2 Evaluating master's thesis
CS 3 Supervision process and milestones
CS 4 Feedback - Giving and taking
CS 5 Supervising topics from industry/stakeholders
CS 6 Resources & tools available for supervisors
Kirsti Keltikangas, pedagogical specialist, Aalto ELEC / Teacher in charge
Ken Pennington, Lecturer of English, Language Centre
Jan-Mikael Rybicki, Lecturer of English, Language Centre
Maria Törnroos, Psychologist for doctoral students, Aalto Learning services
online sessions in Zoom
In this choice, you can update your personal choice whether you want to complete the course
Option 1. with 3 credits
Option 2. or 5 credits
In the first option, you will
- participate in the sessions (6)
- do the assignments/tasks between the sessions
- and participate Maria's councelling group
In the latter version, you will do the parts listed in the 1st option
PLUS you will design your personal MyCourses template for supervision/instruction.
The workload and the hours calculated both options are explained in the table below.
Would you kindly choose the option optimal for you and your schedule.