Welcome to the home page of the course 21E12002 Capstone in Creative Sustainability! Here you can find general information about the course. If you become interested and would like to be admitted to the course as a student, please follow the instructions below.
Hint for students: In the top-left corner of your screen there should be a menu symbol (three white lines on orange background). By clicking this symbol you can make the table of contents of the course site visible if it is not visible for you by default. This will greatly help you navigate the course site.
During the course students work in multidisciplinary teams towards finding creative solutions to real-life social and environmental challenges brought by client organisations. This year we are proposing projects with the following organizations:
- Bioenergy Association of Finland (Biochar and carbon sequestration in urban green areas)
- Forest 21 (Alternative business models in support of green economy)
- Kesko (Circular economy for Kesko non-food operations)
- Konecranes (Undiscovered biodiversity impacts)
- Lapinlahden Lähde (Community culture for recycling)
- Lapinlahden Lähde (Reach for social impact)
The team members are expected to work intensively together during the course. They will also be meeting with the representatives of the client organizations. Each team will receive a tutor to guide them during the projects. The class will come together for five mandatory contact sessions over the course of the Capstone. The timing of the contact sessions is 11.1 (9-12), 18.1. (9-12), 8.2. (9-15), 8.3. (9-12), and 5.4. (9-15). (Information: the April session will take place on campus.) Other than this, there will be no organized contact sessions, but teams may use the course hours and the classroom indicated in Oodi for team meetings and tutoring sessions.
If you would like to apply to the course, please do the following:
- Register to the course via SISU on 30.11.2021 at the latest. To avoid any last minute surprises, when registering please check immediately whether SISU has accepted your registration or whether some technicalities or preconditions are not met. Questions related to course registrations in SISU can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This point refers to whether your registration is technically correct, for example that you have the correct course implementation in your study plan, not whether you will obtain the course place.)
- Examine the project descriptions on this MyCourses website, decide which projects would be the most interesting ones for you, and submit your application on this MyCourses website on 1.12.2021 at the latest. You can only access the project descriptions and the application form if you are logged in with an Aalto user account.
- You will be informed about whether or not you are admitted to the course on 10.12.2021 at the latest. The exact number of students that can be admitted depends on the number of course projects. Priority is given to students in the Master's Programme in Creative Sustainability.