Welcome to the BCS P08 workspace.This is a blended learning course.
Our first session will be: 08.30-11.30, Tuesday, 1 March, 2022 in U270 U8 (Undergrad Centre, Otakaari 1).SCHEDULEPlease note that all other course materials, including assignments and readings, are in the drop-down menu on the left-hand side of the workspace.
- 3 sessions will be on campus: 1.3, 15.3 & 5.4
- 3 sessions online using Zoom: 8.3, 22.3 & 29.3
SESSION 1: 1.3 (On campus in U270 U8)
- Course overview: objectives, assignments, division into teams for groupwork
- Communicating strategically
- Assignment 1 (A1): case analysis, presentations, discussion
- Analysis and discussion of student writing samples
Preparation for session 2
- Read: Input 1, Communicating strategically, and Input 2, Persuasive techniques
- Prepare written request (A1). Upload a copy of this to the respective folder in the SESSION 2 section ready for peer review activities. Please do this before we meet for sesssion 2.
- Prepare your presentation strategy outline (A2a). Please have a copy of this ready to share in our online session next week.
SESSION 2: 8.3 (Online Zoom session)
- Effective business writing
- Getting the right rhetorical mix: Ethos, Logos and Pathos
- Reviewing and editing your draft written requests (A1)
- Fine-tuning your persuasive presentation strategy (A2a)
- High impact introductions and conclusions
Preparation for session 3
- Prepare for the in class-tests QUIZ (A3a) and Written case (A3b) in week 4. Read Input 3, Reader-focused business writing, and Input 4, Impactful and engaging presentations
- Write the final version of your written request (A1). Submit by 08.30, 15.3.
- Finalise your persuasive presentation (A2). Be prepared to present on 26.09. Submit your strategy outline (A2a) to MyCourses by 08.30, 15.3.
SESSION 3: 15.3 (On campus in U356 Alma Media)
- 6-8 minute individual persuasive presentations with peer feedback
- Essentials of effective slide design
- Final team presentations (A4): choice of topic
Preparation for session 4
- Start writing A5: critical appraisal of A2 and A4 (due 14.12)
- Prepare for the in class-tests QUIZ (A3a) and Written case (A3b) in week
4. Read Input 3, Reader-focused business writing, and Input 4,
Impactful and engaging presentations
- Prepare final team presentation: plan strategy
SESSION 4: 22.3 (Online Zoom session)
- QUIZ to test knowledge of inputs 1-4 (A3a / 10%)
- In-class written case (A3b / 20%)
- Preparation for next week's A4 team consultation sessions
Preparation for session 5
- Continue preparing final team presentation and upload materials to MyCourses by midday, the day before your consultation with Mike: preview slide / structure of presentation, 3+ questions, draft visuals (if you have any)
SESSION 5: 29.3 Consultation session with Mike (Online Zoom session)
- Team presentation consultation with Mike (25 minutes/team).
08.30: Group 1
09.00: Group 2
09.30: Group 3
10.00: Group 4
10.30: Group 5
11.00: Group 6
11.30: Group 7
12.00: Group 8
Preparation for session 6
- Finalise team presentation
SESSION 6: 5.4 (On campus in U356 Alma Media)
- Final team presentations
- We'll probably divide the class into two sessions for these final team presentations:
Session 1 (Groups 1-4): 08.30-10.30
Session 2 (Groups 5-8): 10.30-12.30
We'll make a final decision on this nearer the time.
Submit your critical appraisal of BCS presentation performance (A5) by 08.30, 12.4