Welcome to Business Communication Skills!
This course is held on campus. It is organized as a "flipped classroom," so you are expected to prepare for classes beforehand by watching input videos and reading input materials.
All course materials and information are in MyCourses. Please make sure you receive emails from "Announcements", as all course messages will be sent through that forum.
The information in these MyCourses pages is organized as follows:
You can find the schedule on the course homepage, below this information. In it, you can see what you are expected to do before coming to each class and what we will do in class.
Assignment instructions and submissions
You can find all assignment instructions and submission boxes in the "Assignments" folder (see left-hand side panel). The only exception is A3a quiz that you can find from the left-hand side panel itself. Please submit all assignments by the given deadline, as late assignments will not be accepted.
Materials that you need to study
You can find all the materials that you are expected to study in the "Materials" folder (see left-hand side panel).
The materials are organized by week. Always study the materials for any given date before coming to class that day. We will not cover the information as such in class, as you will be expected to have studied it beforehand.
If you have any questions at any point, remember to ask!
APRIL 20 (Week 1)
Before class (individual preparation):
- Read Reading input 1 (Communicating strategically)
- Watch course videos 1 and 2 (Communicating strategically 1 and 2)
- Read Assignment 1 instructions
- Think of your best life-hack and be ready to share it in class
- Introductions and life-hacks
- Exercise on communicating strategically
- Discussion on grading principles
- Exercise on Assignment 1
- Assignment 2 instructions
APRIL 27 (Week 2)
Before class (individual / pair preparation):
- Read Reading inputs 2 and 3 (Persuasive techniques and Reader-focused business writing)
- Watch course videos 3-5 (Videos on Effective writing)
- Prepare A1 version 1 with your pair, and bring it to class on your laptop
- Write and submit A2a outline to MyCourses before 9.00 am on the day of class, and bring it to class on your laptop or as a paper copy
- Writing exercises
- Feedback on another pair’s A1
- Feedback on another student's A2a communication strategy analysis
- Presentation practice session 1
MAY 4 (Week 3)
Before class (individual and pair preparation):
- Read Reading input 4: Impactful presentations
- Watch videos number 5-8 by Paul Savage, https://vimeo.com/showcase/5978020
- Watch course videos number 6 and 7 (Preparing impactful presentations 1 and 2)
- Prepare and rehearse your A2b presentation
- Finalize A1 with your pair and upload to
A1 submission box by 9.00 am on the day of class
- A2b presentations
- A3 instructions
- A4 team presentation instructions and teams
MAY 11 (Week 4)
- Study for A3a quiz and A3b written task (review reading inputs 1-4 and videos 1-5)
- Complete A3a quiz any time during the week but before Wednesday's class (quiz opens at 0.01 am on Thursday, May 5, and closes at 8.59 am on Wednesday, May 11)
- A3b written task, organized as a writing workshop
MAY 18 (Week 5)
Before class (individual and team preparation):
- Watch course videos 8 and 9 (Visual design), as well as 10 (Nonverbal communication)
your team’s A4 presentation and visuals. Bring the visuals to class on your laptop.
- Presentation practice session 2
- Peer feedback on A4 team presentation
MAY 22 (Week 6)
Before class (team preparation):
Finalize A4 team presentation based on feedback on visuals
A4 team presentations
Afterwards (individual work):
A5 Individual reflection on presentations (to MyCourses by 11 pm on May 30)