This course introduces written and oral communication principles and strategies that are applicable to professional and academic purposes. Throughout this course, students work individually and/or in small groups to develop their presentation and writing skills. Moreover, students give and receive constructive feedback on their work and revise it accordingly.
Upon completion of this course, the students will be able to
- Recognise the strategies and elements that enhance clarity and audience-friendliness in both oral and written communication
- Apply these strategies and elements in oral presentations and writing related to their field of study
- Distinguish between formal and informal styles of communication
More specifically, the course aims to help you:
- Express your opinions/arguments clearly and convincingly to justify your point of view
- Structure oral and written communication effectively
- Practise speaking in public in a non-stressful environment
- Gain confidence in presenting your opinions and ideas
Course assignments and assessment:
- Preparatory assignments 40%
- Written assignment(s) 30%
- Oral assignment(s) 30% (Videoed)
81 h (Small group instruction 24 - 36 h + independent work 45 - 57 h)
NB! We have no exams on this course – instead, the assignments and tasks are completed continuously and during our sessions. It is therefore very important that you attend the sessions and complete the tasks on time!NB! Before the first session of the course, please remember to complete the Pre-course assignments!