2 sessions online using Zoom: 17.3 & 31.3
MANDATORY pre-work: due 08.30, Thursday, 3 March
As you will have seen from SISU and the course description, there is a mandatory pre-work consisting of a) readings and b) 2 pre-course assignments,
which must be completed before our first session. You'll find details
in the pre-work folder in the drop-down menu on the left of the screen.
I'll be in touch with you before the course kick-off but, in the meantime, if you have any questions, do let me know (michael.baker(at)aalto.fi).
- Course overview: objectives, assignments
- Introduction to the Competing Values Communication Framework
- Discussion of your CVCF Communicator Profiles with fellow group members
- Fine-tuning your CVCF objective-driven presentation: feedback on strategy from fellow group members
- Introduction to A4 communication project: choice of project situation
Preparation for session 2
On your own
- Read Input 2: Strategic Contingency Model (SCM)
- Read Input 3: Persuasive managerial writing: sensitive messages
- Read Input 4: Reader-focused business writing
- Fine-tune your individual CVCF objective-driven presentation for 10 March.
- As you're going to be giving this and other presentations to a camera online, you might find some useful tips here.
Even though Paul Savage's tips were originally targeted at teachers who
want to create blended learning content, I think you'll find some useful
ideas about presenting in this online environment. Videos 5-8 are
probably the most useful. Take a look.
- Prepare A1, the Bad News Message (BNM) draft and upload it to the respective Feedback on A2 BNM drafts forum in the SESSION 2 folder before the start of class next week.
- Prepare your communication project proposal (A4) and upload it the A4 project proposals .... folder by 08.30, next Thursday.
SESSION 2: 10.3 (on campus: U261 OP)
- Objective-driven presentations (pre-work assignment). You'll give these in small groups to an audience of 4/5 students.
reviewing & editing of BNM (A1). You'll get feedback on your BNM
from another group. They'll then meet you and give you their comments
verbally and written. The final version is due 17 March..
Preparation for session 3
On your own
- Read Rogers (2003), Building a case and arguing with sophistication
- Read Denning, S. (2004), Telling Tales and Conger, J. (1991), Inspiring others. Also, take a look at the links to articles and videos given in the assignment brief.
- Prepare individual transformational speech outline (A3) upload your speech outline to MyCourses by 17 March, and have a copy readily at hand for peer review in session 3.
- Write the final version of your BNM (A1) and upload to MyCourses by 08.30, 17 March.
- Prepare the managerial proposal (cover email & proposal) in your group (A2) for 17 March to allow for peer review activities.
SESSION 3: 17.3 (online using Zoom)
on transformational speech (A3) outlines. You'll get some comments and
suggestions from your fellow group members on what you've planned for
- Reviewing and editing managerial proposals (A2). You'll get feedback on your MP from 3 perspectives (argumentation, reader focus, coherence) from another group. They'll then meet you and give you their comments verbally and written. The final version is due 24 March.
Preparation for session 4
On your own
- Finalise your transformational presentation (A3). Be ready to present on 24 March.
- Read Input 5: Writing an executive summary
- Read input 6: Essentials of effective slide design
- Read input 7: Preparing an effective recommendation presentation
- Finalise A3, the Managerial Proposal and upload it to MyCourses by 08.30, 24 March.
- Prepare your communication project presentation and executive summary (A4)
SESSION 4: 24.3 (on campus: U261 OP)
speeches with peer feedback (A3). The class will be divided into 3
sessions (2 groups / session) for this exercise: session 1
(08.30-09.30); session 2 (09.45-10.45); session 3 (10.45-11.30). We'll
agree on the final schedule in session 3.
Preparation for session 5
On your own
- View your transformational speech and write your appraisal (A3c). Upload to MyCourses by 31 March.
your materials for the consultation session with Mike: (a) draft
executive summary; (b) preview slide / structure of your presentation
and (c) 3 questions you have related to the presentation. Due midday, the day before we have our consultation session.
SESSION 5: 31.3 (online using Zoom)
- Consultation sessions with Mike. Each group will have a 30-minute consultation session in which I can give you some overall comments on your Executive Summary and your plans for the presentation, and also deal with any questions you might have.
On your own
- Read: Yates, J. (2009), Active listening, and Munter, M. (2007), Q and A sessions.
- Upload your A4 executive summary to MyCourses by midday, Wednesday, 6 April.
- Finalise your A4 final team presentation.
the Executive Summary of the group you're going to be the audience for,
and prepare a few questions you'd like to ask them after their
- Consultant presentations to top management of your project organisation / company followed by Q&A (A4)
- If the class is very large we'll might divide this final session into two separate sessions. TBD in class.
- Fill in the teamwork evaluation sheet - assess your own and fellow team members's contribution to the group activities