ELEC-L0902 Introduction to Doctoral Studies D (2 or 3 cr)
What are the tools needed in doctoral studies? What kind of support is available for doctoral students? How do I plan my career?
In this course we will discuss and hear expert views on doctoral studies, services available, career planning, research ethics etc.
Currently this course is arranged twice a year.
Contact InfoPlease email firstname.lastname@example.org
Teachers in Charge: Prof Ari Sihvola, Prof Vesa Välimäki, Dr Emma Holmlund
Course Coordinators: Antti Ojapelto, Suvi Katajamäki
Various visiting lecturers
Course Requirements for 2 cr:
In order to pass the course and receive 2 credit points, you need to meet these requirements:
Active Participation in the Aalto Orientation Days (6.-7.9.2021 or some earlier Aalto Orientation Day)
Register to the Aalto Orientation Days here at the latest on August 31. You need to either take part in the orientation program for all Aalto University doctoral candidates and write a reflective essay on that, check Assignments (at the left) / Orientation Reflective Essay,
- OR Do the assignment "Assignment for 3 cr or substituting orientation" (Assignments at the left).
Active Participation in the Seminars and Feedback sessions
- You need to attend the Seminar Days 1 and 2 (the dates and times can be found under Timetable at the left. If you for some reason have to be absent, please inform the course teachers as soon as possible through the adress email@example.com. To pass the course you have to attend at least half of the time at the seminars and substitute what you have missed with extra assignments, check Assignments / Missing a Session. Zoom instructions can be found at the left.
- You need to attend the compulsory online Feedback sessions, part I and II (15 min each). You will get the date and time during the course.
- Participation in the Kick-off Event and Closing Session are not required, but highly recommended.
AssignmentsYou need to do and submit these assignments by the deadline mentioned:
- Reflective Writing, dl 5.9.2021
- Practical Tips, Reflective Essay, dl 5.9.2021
- Writing Assignment, Part I, dl 5.9.2021
- Ethics Group Work, dl 12.9.2021
- Career Assignment, dl 20.9.2021
- Writing Assignment, Part II, dl 29.9.
- Orientation Reflective Essay OR Assignment for substituting the orientation, dl 10.10.2021
- Final Reflection Essay, dl 10.10.2021
Course Requirements for 3 cr:
With Orientation Days:
- Take part in the orientation program for all Aalto University doctoral
candidates and write a reflective essay on it, see Assignments / Orientation
Reflective Essay, AND
- Do everything else required for 2 cr, please see above, AND
- Do the Assignment for 3 cr, dl 10.10.2021
Without Orientation Days:
- Do the Assignment for 3 cr or substituting the orientation twice with two different topics, dl 10.10.2021, AND
- Do everything else required for 2 cr, please see above
Admission and RegistrationThis course is for doctoral students of Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering. We are sorry we can't take any M.Sc. or B.Sc. students. If you have begun your work towards the doctor's degree and you have submitted the online application for doctoral studies in Aalto ELEC but you have not been admitted yet, please contact the course coordinators if you wish to take the course now.Please register in Sisu to attend the course. You need to have an Aalto IT license to take this course.Admission preferences if needed to limit group size:
doctoral students of ELEC
- Other doctoral students of ELEC, we prefer students who are at an early stages in their doctoral studies.