Special assignments are independent experiments, projects, or literature surveys on the topics of mechanical engineering. In completing the assignment, the student gains experience in:
- formulating a technical challenge and defining criteria by which to evaluate a solution
- identifying, obtaining, and interpreting relevant documentation, standards, and scientific literature
- analysing and solving technical questions or problems
- planning and documenting independent work
- developing research-based deep knowledge about a specific topic
- building and demonstrating a unique professional identity
Prerequisites: 20 ECTS in the area of specialisation of the assignment
The first step in taking a special assignment, is to find a supervisor for it and agree with them individually about the scope and content of the assignment. All professors and lecturers of the Department of Mechanical Engineering can act as supervisors of special assignments. A plan with the agreed tasks and deliverables may be submitted here in MyCourses, and should be approved by the director or deputy director of the programme before starting the assignment. In any case, the deliverables shall include a report to be submitted to the supervisor as well as here in MyCourses.
The plan should include the tasks and deliverables, as well as an estimated schedule for their completion and the support that the supervisor of the assignment commits to providing. As a part of this plan, the anticipated workload of each task should be tabulated as justification for the number of credits to be earned.
At a minimum, the report briefly describes the context in which the assignment originated, reflects on the relevance of the assignment to mechanical engineering, justifies the tasks included in the assignment, and critically evaluates the outcome.