Welcome to the course of
Thermal Energy Storage Systems Theory
Are you interested in decarbonising heating in the future? Do you want to work on a real life challenge for future energy systems?
In the future, it will be very important to better control thermal flows to be able to store heat using different solutions. On this course we will take holistic look on the future strategy on thermal energy flow control, including possible heat storage. This is not a topic for one particular discipline only and therefore we invite students from broad variety of backgrounds. We will have presentations from different disciplines from academia and industry.
This course does NOT require any presence at contact session, but if you prefer there are also contact sessions available at Aalto campus, you can turn to Sampson for further note. The course is based on 4 individual modules with tasks, each of these modules will have a starting date and a final date for return of tasks.
Module 1 – Background (4-19.4)
- TES mindset (available in contact teaching at Otaniemi 4.4, look from calender)
- TES - Exergy and flexibility (Contact available on 6.4)
- Renewable Heat Sources (Video only)
Module 2 – Technologies (20.4-2.5)
- Heat storage materials (Contact available on 20.4)
- Thermal Energy Storage system level (Contact available on 25.4)
- Heat pumps (Video only)
- Underground TES systems (Contact available on 27.4)
Module 3 - Industrial applications of TES (2.5-13.5)
- Industrial talk: Nollae (Contact available on 2.5)
- Industrial talk: Helen (Contact available on 9.5)
Module 4 - TES as part of communities (16.5-30.5)
- Energy communities (Contact available on 16.5)
- Community level TES (Contact available on 18.5)
- Final student projects reflecting the course topics (Contact available on 23.5 -> Volunteer activity)
Annukka and Sampson
If you have any questions, please contact the course assistant Sampson (firstname.lastname@example.org)