Practical Work Training with 3D-printers
Welcome to the realm of 3D-printing!
The course is organized as a one-day workshop, which should give an introduction to the world of 3D printing. No previous knowledge or experience is required to join this course.
After the workshop, students should be able to individually use 3D printers to produce physical objects from digital files. Students will get familiar with the Ultimaker 3D printers and the Ultimaker Cura slicing software for print-file preparation. They will gain a better understanding of what 3D printing is and what it can be used for in practice. The course material provides additional links and resources for further learning and exploration.
An additional exercise is offered throughout the course for students who wish to gain 1 ECTS.
NOTE: The access to an online calendar to schedule the ADDLAB 3D printers for personal projects is ONLY given to those who have gained 1 ECTS.
Lecture : Monday 30.01.2023 - 9:15 to 11:45
Practical training will take place in 4 sessions as follows:
Session 1 will be held on Monday 30.01 from 13:00 to 14:00.
Session 2 will be held on Monday 30.01 from 14:00 to 15:00.
Session 3 will be held on Monday 30.01 from 15:00 to 16.00.
Session 4 will be held on Monday 30.01 from 16.00 to 17.00.
You only need to attend one practical session. Capacity for each session would be 14 students.
- Due to the limitation of the number of printers available and to help us control the number of attendees for every session, kindly add your name to one of the available slots for each session in the document attached to this link: Practical session list
Lecture part: Undergraduate Center, A123 (A1), Street address: Otakaari 1, Otaniemi
Practical part: ADDLAB, K4 building, Street address: Sähkömiehentie 4J, Otaniemi
Before the workshop
- If possible, bring your personal laptop. You will get a guided tour to prepare your own files for 3D printing.
- Pre-install the most recent version of the Cura slicing software, available at: https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura
- Take a look at printable part sources, e.g., https://www.thingiverse.com/, and spend a few moments to explore the free printable models uploaded by individual makers of the relevant community. Download the .stl file(s) of at least one interesting object. Preferably choose something small; less than 7 cm x 7 cm x 7 cm. Alternatively, if you have your own 3D design, you can use that.
- If you don't have a laptop to bring, no worries! You can team up with someone who has one, or use the ADDLAB computers to transfer your own files to the printers.