- Elective course in Sustainable Metals Processing major.
- Teaching Period III-IV (Spring 2023)
Learning outcomes, after the course the student can:
- Lectures 12 h
- Tutorials 24 h
- Project (home) work 24 h
- Independent (group) studies 70 h
- Exam 4 h
- understand the structure of a thermochemical solver (Gibbs energy minimiser),
- handle equilibria in heterogeneous multi-component (non-ideal) systems
- do equilibrium simulations in multicomponent heterogeneous systems
Assessment Methods and Criteria
- Thermodynamics of solution phases and their analytical forms in condensed systems,
- use and development of analytical descriptions for solution phases,
- applications of Gibbs energy minimisation techniques for the chemical simulations.
The lectures start Tue 10 January at 12.15-14.00 and will be held in Ke4.
- Project work in groups from selected topics
- Independent study and exam
A. Pelton, Phase Diagrams and Thermodynamic Modeling of Solutions
David R. Gaskell: Selected chapters from Introduction to the thermodynamics of materials (2003) available in Aalto University library e-books in the Dawsonera collection.
Collection of formulas File