Training (Master's Programmes)
Welcome to the School of Science's practical training home pages!
Here you can find the practical training (1-10 cr) instructions for the following Master's Programmes:
- Computer, Communication and Information Sciences (SCI majors)
- Engineering Physics
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Information Networks
- Life Science Technologies (SCI and ELEC majors)
- Mathematics and Operations Research
- SECCLO Erasmus Mundus (2-5 cr)
The purpose of getting work experience is to develop and deepen the knowledge and skills gained during studies. Having work experience also helps in discerning the job opportunities after graduation and creating connections to working life.
Getting work experience from abroad (SCI.itra) is a way of familiarizing oneself with the field of technology in an international environment, getting to know the local culture, and networking within the working community. Working in a country outside Finland will teach you to work in a foreign culture and improve your language skills. Working in a multicultural environment and living abroad will develop your preparedness for working life in a way that working in Finland does not.
- Students who are completing their BSc degree: Work experience can be accepted if it has been obtained after you have completed 150 credits towards the BSc degree and the work experience is suitable for the MSc degree.
- Students who completed their BSc degree elsewhere and are undertaking their MSc degree at Aalto: Work experience obtained after 1 August of the year of your admission can be accepted if it is related to your master’s programme. However, in order to reflect your learning experience in the report you have to study at least one course of your programme.
If you include course JOIN-A0003 Contributing in Community (3 cr) in your degree, only 7 credits of practical training is accepted in the degree. This principle is applied to all applications for practical training submitted as of 1 August 2020.
Before starting the job you need to make sure the work place has an instructor who is familiar with your duties and knows what is expected of your position.
Submitting the application:
Please submit your application with the appendices into Assignments as one pdf document by following the instuctions below.
How are the credits counted?
- Two weeks of working full-time equals one ECTS.
- Part-time job: one ECTS equals 80 hours of work.
- Half credits are not granted.
is not possible to combine separate periods of employment: they are all
handled separately. Each new employment requires a separate
- Practical training application (pdf)
- Report on your work experience
certificate from your employer. The certificate must state the duration
of the employment period, if it was a part- or full-time position, and a
list of your duties. In the case of a part-time job, the weekly hours
must be specified.
- What skills did your duties require?
- How did you benefit from the knowledge and skills gained during your studies?
- What new skills did you acquire?
- What development areas you now find in your skills based on your work experience (e.g. skills related to the substance of your field, communication skills, language skills)?
- How are you planning to develop these areas during your studies?
- How was the work experience relevant to your plans for the future (which direction you want to develop professionally, what do you want to achieve in your career, what kinds of matters and duties you find interesting)?
- What ideas for development do you have concerning your work duties in light of the things you have studied so far?
I would like the credits to be registered for the spring semester, what should I do?
You can apply for the practical training credits in two parts. Ask your employer for a temporary certificate that states the working hours/weeks completed by 31 July. Date the application and the report on your work experience for 31 July, and submit the application with the appendices at the latest on 15 August. The application will be processed in August and the credits will be registered for the spring semester.
I can't register for the sci.trai course for applying the practical training credits, what to do?
If you already have some practical training credits registered and now you would like to apply for the last credits, you may have troubles in registering for the sci.trai course in SISU. In this case, please contact us for further instructions.
- Please see instructions in Into: https://into.aalto.fi/display/ensecclo/Practical+training
Computer, Communication and Information Sciences: Paavo Nisula (firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 50 4721272)
Engineering Physics: Anna Lampivuo (email@example.com, +358 50 569 9264)
Industrial Engineering and Management: Anne Johansson (firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 50 560 9502)
Information Networks: Anne Johansson (email@example.com, +358 50 560 9502)
Life Science Technologies: Susanna Ylhävuori (firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 50 442 5218)
Computer Science building, 1st floor, Konemiehentie 2, 02150 Espoo