Computational Design special seminarNote: Lectures on Tuesdays at 15-17 at: Johanna - 113, Harald Herlin -Learning Center
This seminar, arranged together by ELEC and ARTS, surveys the exciting field of computational design. The seminar goes through a cadre of top researchers and practitioners of computational design, from different fields, some from Aalto and some visiting speakers, and we learn to apply computational design methods to a project topic.
Each meeting includes a 45 min speech and a 45 min roundtable discussion including the students, course staff, and the speaker. Pre-reading material related to the presentation will prepare you for each of them. The students, in teams of three, will develop a course project from a topic of their own, or a task proposed by the staff - we have some in mind which might interest you.
The project is reported in a conference reporting format (see below). The the students get a chance to develop their academic, collaborative reporting skills as well. We hope to see excitement and cross-disciplinary teams.
After the seminar, the student:
- Is familiar with the range of emerging opportunities in computational design methods.
- Has applied a selected computational design method, suitable to their interest area of design.
- Understands how to frame approaches such that the viewpoints of both computational sciences and design are considered.
Schedule20.9 Severi Uusitalo and Antti Oulasvirta - Introduction
27.9. Perttu Hämäläinen - AI in Game Design
4.10. Pia Fricker – Computational Architecture
NB! Monday 10.10. at 11 am to noon Daniel Berio - Procedural and computer aided design of graffiti art and calligraphy in room F101 in Väre
NO seminar on Tuesday 11.10.
18.10. Christian Guckelsberger - Computational creativity
25.10. Marja-Liisa Siikonen (MLS Lift Consulting Ltd) - People Flow1.11. Francois Mangion & William Bondin - I+A https://iplusa.com.mt/8.11. Jaakko Lehtinen (Aalto, NVIDIA) - Neural filters for creative professionalsPlease note change of venue and time!Wednesday 14.12. Final presentations (short) in room 126 Juho in the Learning Centre 15-16; afterwards EMMA exhibition In Search of the Present at the Espoo Museum of Modern Art (EMMA), starting with introduction to the exhibition by curator Arja Miller.+ Creative Technologies seminar speeches (optional) @Hybrid Stage, Learning Center downstairs6.10. 14-15 Mary Lou Maher, Hironori Yoshida3.11. 9-10 Jon McCormack, Christian Guckelsberger
(1.12. 14-15 Geraint Wiggins)See recordings of selected talks in the Creative Technologies website.Additionally:6.10 12-13 John Gero @ Otakaari 1, Y313Recording in .
1. Learning diary for 1) four (4) presentations in this seminar and 2) two (2) presentations in the Creative Technologies seminar. Students are free to choose which events to report.
2. Course project, reported as a research article manuscript following the CHI Late Breaking Work template. Target length 2000-3000 words. We encourage submitting project reports to student research competitions after later editing.
3. Presentation of the outcomes.