Welcome to Introduction to doctoral studies in computer science!
This is an introductory course on doctoral studies, research skills, and academic life in computer science (3 ECTS). The course is obligatory for all new doctoral students (admitted as of 1 August 2022 or later) at the Department of Computer Science.
The course aims to:
- familiarise doctoral researchers with the CS department and build opportunities for peer-support during doctoral studies
- strengthen doctoral education in computer science. The course will lead doctoral students towards independence in key aspects of research and academic life, for example in scientific writing, oral presentation, science communication, research ethics, career planning etc.
- support the wellbeing of every doctoral student, and to ensure that the supervision relationship works and working conditions are favourable. If any problems occur in the doctoral thesis project, they will be identified early enough, and the department will provide help if needed.
- Onboarding, doctoral seminars, and supervisory group meetings
- CS Research (e.g. including four lectures)
- Participation in department activities and trainings
- Activities within the first half a year of studies: onboarding, 1. doctoral seminar & 1. supervisory group, (part of) the compulsory lectures and /or some free-choice activities
- Activities in the second half of your first year: (rest of) the compulsory lectures and/or free-choice activities
- Activities during the second year of studies: 2. doctoral seminar & 2. supervisory group meeting, any remaining free-choice activities