Visual resources course materials
Copyright is automatically generated for the creator at the creation of an original work, no separate application or registration is needed.
- Copyright protects works for 70 years from the death of the creator.
- Copyright protects an ordinary photograph for 50 years from its production, and an photographic work of art for the same period of time as other works of art
- A subject or an idea is not protected but its original manifestation.
- In co-authored works copyright is shared by all creators.
- A creator reserves the right to make decisions on copying, modification, making available to the public, displaying, and receiving monetary compensation on the use of the work.
- The format or quality of the work is not relevant as long as the work is original (it may be a painting, drawing, sketch, photograph, film, video, writing, design work, sound, performance, dance work, map, diagram or computer program etc).
- The creator is entitled to a compensation when the work is used.