Welcome to the 42E00500 CEMS Business Communication Skills seminar workspace.
Our seminar, including the final presentations to UPM, will be held online (Zoom).
This is a 1 ECT course (27hrs): 12hrs contact teaching; 15hrs independent work
- Pre-seminar preparation: readings and 2 assignments. Due midday, Tuesday, 29 September.
- Session 1: 12.15-16.30, Tuesday, 29 September
- Session 2: 12.15-16.30, Thursday, 1 October
- Session 3: 09.00 -12.00, Friday, 9 October Final presentations to UPM
PRE-SEMINAR: Mandatory readings and 2 pre-seminar assignments (due midday, Tuesday, 29 September)
SESSION 1: 29.09 (12.15-16.30)
- Read Input 1: Strategic Contingency Model (SCM)
- Read Input 2: Reader-focused managerial writing
- Assignment 1: Analyse the Jackson’s DIY case and upload your analysis and strategy proposal to MyCourses by midday, Tuesday, 29 September.
- Assignment 2: Familiarise yourself with UPM (incl. code of conduct) and carry out a preliminary core stakeholder analysis. Upload your stakeholder analysis to MyCourses midday, Tuesday, 29 September.
- Course overview: objectives, assignments, schedule
- Strategic Contingency Model
- Jackson's communication strategy: presentations and discussion
- Preparing and delivering Jackson’s case messages
- Introduction to UPM case: division into groups
Preparation for session 2
- Read Input 3: Communicating sensitive messages
- Read Input 4: Preparing a recommendation presentation
- Read the UPM case an prepare your 10-minute recommendation presentation (A2)
- If you have time, take a look at these articles on bad-news messaging:
‘The 10 Commandments for Delivering Bad News’, Bies (2012); ‘The Secret
of Communicating Bad News to Employees’, Ackley (1992); How Great
Leaders Deliver Bad News, Anderson (2015)
SESSION 2: 1.10 (12.15-16.30)
- Managerial writing: style and tone
- Bad news messaging: writing and reviewing
- Impromptu presentations: focus on content organisation
- Preparing and delivering recommendation presentations
Preparation for session 3
- Read input 5: Creating effective visuals
- Finalise your 10-minute UPM presentation
- Upload your slides to the Assignment 3 submission box by midnight, Thursday, 8 October.
SESSION 3: 9.10 (09.00-12.00)
- Recommendation presentations to UPM