Course Practicalities: Fall 2021
Below you find the course practicalities and info how to pass the course. Course practicalities will be presented in Zoom session when course begins. The course practicalities may sound a bit complicated first as there are two alternative options to pass the course. But everything will be explained and all questions answered when we meet in Zoom.
Our first session is on 9 November 2021 at 10:15.
All meetings are with Zoom at the same address:
We have 5 online sessions:
- Tuesday 9.11.21: 10.15-13.45 (lunch break in the middle). Practicalities. Systematic literature review. Finding the most important journal articles.
- Wednesday 10.11.21: 10.15-13.45 (lunch break in the middle). Mendeley software for reference management. Data collection and SPSS software for quantitative data analysis.
- Friday 12.11.21: 10.15-13.45 (lunch break in the middle). Data analysis with SPSS software. Basics: Chi-square test, t-test, analysis of variance.
- Monday 15.11.21: 10.15-13.45 (lunch break in the middle). Data analysis with SPSS software. Multivariate methods: cluster analysis, factor analysis and Cronbach's Alpha.
- Thursday 18.11.21: 10.15-13.45 (lunch break in the middle). Choosing the topic for Master's Thesis. Data analysis with SPSS software. Advanced multivariate methods: regression analysis and structural equation modelling (SEM).
These sessions are not recorded. Instead, each session is interactive session where you can practise different things, e.g. getting prepared to write the theoretical part of the thesis and analyzing data with IBM SPSS Statistics software.
Normally the course has compulsory assignments and exam based on lectures and textbook. In Fall 2021 due to the corona virus situation there will be no exams for the course. Instead, there are two different options to pass the course.
Option one: Active participation and learning diary
Participate actively in the live Zoom lectures and write a learning diary. The instructions are on the Assignment-section on the course website. This option is only possible if you have a computer where you can install IBM SPSS Statistics software (from download.aalto.fi). And this option is only meaningful if you are willing to take part in Zoom sessions and group discussions. The deadline for the assignment is 30 November 2021 at 23:55.
Option two: Assignment (Research Plan for Master's Thesis)
Write an assignment (Research Plan for Master's Thesis). The instructions are on the Assignment-section on the course website. The deadline for the assignment is 30 November 2021 at 23:55. In practise you can do this without participating in the Zoom sessions. However, have at least look at the lecture slides, there is useful information on planning your master's thesis.
The idea is not to do both options. But if you insist on doing both and return them by deadline then the one graded higher will determine your grade.
Welcome to the course!