Course will take place on Fridays in Zoom. Link to zoom:
Passcode if needed: 690984
Notice that you have to be signed in on Zoom to be able to join. See Zoom instructions on a separate section by clicking on the three "hamburger" lines in the upper left corner to open menu, and select "Zoom instructions".
Course programme1. Friday 5.11.2021 9:15-about 15
Design museum exhibition, lecture & introduction to the course (Design museum team Leena, Jaakko, Gisela and Vanessa; TL & HP)
Course starts 9:15, with a zoomed lecture and exhibition visit in the Design museum.
<Lunch break after Design museum tour>
Afternoon: After Design museum session, we will introduce students to the course, working methods, assignments and support. This includes creating teams for course assignment.After introductions: Starting work in the team. This includes meeting with teachers.2. Friday 12.11.2021 9:15-12 + Afternoon: Course work
Design as media: good vibes (HP)Heidi will open perspectives towards design and media intensive cultures, starting with reasons why people are happily having designs at home, habitually using designs and sometimes becoming very attached to designs. This session is largely about design in contexts outside of professional control. Slides: course design, design in action, designed society, designers in society.3. Friday 19.11.2021 9:15-12 + Afternoon: Course work
Design as media: bad vibes (HP)Discussion about ways especially design saturates contemporary culture continues with highlighting the times that design is actively having dark sides and harmful intentions. Big part of the session is to discuss reasons why people hate design, designers and, in general, consumption. We end with positive notes, though. Slides: design mediates social mood, design gets consumed, consumption critique, new adventures.4. Friday 26.11.21 9:15-12 + Afternoon: Course workMedia studies (TL)In the first session on the Media Studies we will explore the history, some media theorists and their thoughts from the time when media started to play more important role in the development of societies around the world. We will discuss about the geopolitics and media from the times of printed news media to the first electronic media, radio and television. Themes covered:
5. Friday 3.12.2021 + Afternoon: Course workNew media and social media (TL)In the second session we will then take a look of the origins of the Internet and the WWW and predict where all this will take us. We also discuss the impact of entertainment and social media in our daily life and how Internet have change it. We will also explore the media industries and different forms of new media including virtual and augmented reality and games. The themes covered are:
- Media Studies
- Media theorists - some classics
- Geopolitics and media
- Introduction to homework screening: The Social Dilemma | Netflix (you should get access to Netflix to watch the movie :-( )
No class7. Friday 17.12.2021 9:15-max 17
- Media industries
- Origins of Internet and the WWW
- New Media - What is that?
Your media and design (TL&HP)
Video essay screenings and discussion.
From here you will find all the assignments of the course. Grading will be based on the assignments:(1) From the video essay and the script we give a common grade for the entire group.
(2) The Reflective Learning Journey will be graded individually.
(3) Participation to the class and tutoring sessions will also affect to your individual grade.
Screening schedule Friday 17.12.2109:15 - 9:30 Team 16: CIRCULAR ECONOMY + TELEVISIONAatu Mäkinen, Ilari Kokkola, Jessica Eboreime, Vivian Katajainen, Emanuela Leppäkoski9:30 - 9:45 Team 12: RAY EAMES + DANCEHitomi Asaka, Joel Knippare, Ossi Rantanen, Tiina Otala9:45 - 10:00 Team 7: RECYCLING + CULTURE JAMMINGElisabeth Arno, Katarina Blind, Mari Keskiivari, Nana Lybeck10:00 - 10:15 Team 5: BAUHAUS + DESKTOP PUBLISHINGDaniel Kohvakka, Hanne Holpainen, Henri Timperi, Owein Iveson10:15 - 10:30 Team 17: ERIK BRUUN + MUSICJonna Pyykkönen, Natasa Hodosi, Nuutti Muurimäki, Yuzu Nakamura10:30 - 11:00 BREAK11:00 - 11:15 Team 10: RUT BRYK + FILMApollo da Costa Doria, Juho Laasanen, Lauri Greis, Selma Mataich11:15 - 11:30 Team 11: USER INTERFACE + INDENTITYMathilda Hahn, Michelle Lauriste, Nea Paavola, Olivia Lähteenmaa11:30 - 11:45 Team 3: WILLIAM MORRIS + GENDERLaura Sarmanto, Rosa Helenius, Vilma Sainio, Vilma Viertola, Wen Ouyang11:45 - 12:00 Team 13: INTERACTION + PAGERANKEetu Saarentausta, Julia Isabella Puustinen, Margo Gainska, Roosa Tervapuro12:00 - 12:15 Team 15: RAYMOND LOEWY + VIDEO GAMESAlina Sippola, Ha Rim Kwon, Milo Nieminen, Satu Paavonsalo12:15 - 12:30 Team 8: EMPATHY + AUGMENTED REALITYIlona Rönkä, Saara Abdi, Sasha Tikachev, Aada Koivuranta (4)12:30 - 13:30 LUNCH BREAK13:30 - 13:45 Team 9: VICTOR PAPANEK + FANDOMLeopold Tomaschek, Marek Sevcik, Nicole Kajander, Johanna Masalin13:45 - 14:00 Team 2: DIETER RAMS + CENSORSHIPAlarik Rantala, Alma Haavisto, Lilo Molin, Mariam Sudzhadinova, Rasmus Paul14:00 - 14:15 Team 4: INTERNET OF THINGS + VIRTUAL REALITYEemil Halme, Iida Arvola, Marta Ligaj, Nhung Huynh, Roope Sysilä14:15 - 14:30 Team 1: JONY IVE + GENERATIVE ARTAxel Pasanen, Juhana Anttila, Laura Asmala, Mette Wik, Soyoung Park14:30 - 14:45 Team 14: COCO CHANEL + PUBLIC SPHEREErica Baker, Lilya Lagerhobm, Rasmus Palmunen, Riikka Kiili14:45 - 15:00 Team 6: SPECULATIVE + RADIOHenna Koski, Inga Turska, Leo Ash, Livia Solin
- Download and install Zoom using https://zoom.us
- Sign into aalto.zoom.us with your Aalto email and password and you are assigned a Zoom account license. Zoom will work better with Aalto account.
- Make sure that you are signed in zoom with your real first and last name. Attendance in class is monitored based on zoom logs.
- Quit all unnecessary software on your computer
- Keep your audio on mute when you're not talking. This decreases the background noise.
- Use headphones. That helps with the problem of nasty feedback echoes.
share your screen/slides/content, in the controls at the bottom of the
Zoom window, click "Share Screen". Select the screen/software you want
to share. Notice that you have to give Zoom permissions on your computer
before you can share. This needs to be done only at the first time.
- Remember to stop sharing when you have finished your presentation.
you want to see or join chat, in the controls at the bottom of the
Zoom window, click "chat". Notice that chat can be saved by clicking on
the 3 dots at the top of the chat window.
- Download and install Zoom using https://zoom.us