- Manzini, E 2011, 'Introduction'. In A Meroni & D Sangiorgi (eds) Design for ServicesGower Publishing, Aldershot, UK, pp. 25-31. (This introduction chapter points out some of the basics in Designing for services. The book has a good collection of nice cases to use as a reference: what kind of topics, what can design do, how to engage, what kind of outcomes, etc.)
- Lee, J. -J. (2020). Frame failures and reframing dialogues in the public sector design projects. International Journal of Design, 14(1), 81-94 (This article looks at student service design project with public sector)
ADDITIONAL READING FOR FRIDAYS LECTURE: From Insight to Implementation
- Light and Akama 2014, Structuring future social relations: the politics of care in participatory practice. Proceedings of PDC. Pages 151-160 (this article addresses care – and invites to reflect why we do service design, the motivations and mindsets)
- Kimbell, L 2011, 'Designing for service as one way of designing services', International Journal of Design, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 41-52.(this article elaborates the difference between service engineering and designing for service)
- Svanda Annukka, Martina Čaić, Tuuli Mattelmäki (2021) Scaling up diversity and inclusion. From classroom to municipality. Brandt,
E.; Markussen, T., Berglund, E.; Julier, G.; and Linde, P. (eds.)
(2021). Proceedings of Nordes 2021: Matters of Scale. 15-18 August 2021,
Kolding, Denmark (this article aims to point out the points of friction between service design and public sector) https://mycourses.aalto.fi/pluginfile.php/1526876/course/section/189259/NORDES_Scaling%20up%20diversity%20and%20inclusion.pdf
- Lee, Jung-joo, Miia Jaatinen, Anna Salmi, Tuuli Mattelmäki, Riitta Smeds, and Mari Holopainen (2018) Design Choices framework for co-creation projects. International Journal of Design. 12 (2). (this article maps the landscape of design decisions of different scale when planning and implementing collaborative design) http://www.ijdesign.org/index.php/IJDesign/article/view/2782
- Mattelmäki, T. & Sleeswijk Visser, F. 2011, 'Lost In Co-X: Interpretations Of Co-Design And Co-Creation'. IASDR2011, The 4th World Conference on Design Research, Delft, the Netherlands. (this article tries to exemplify the differences with co-creation and co-design)
- Vaajakallio & Mattelmäki (2014) Design games in codesign: as a tool, a mindset and a structure. CoDesign journal. (this article is about design games that is one of the useful tools to know in both co-design and service design) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15710882.2014.881886
- Patrício, L., Fisk, R. P., Falcão e Cunha, J., & Constantine, L. (2011). Multilevel service design: from customer value constellation to service experience blueprinting. Journal of Service Research, 14(2), 180-200.File (This article explains the different scales of design challenges and how they are interlinked)
- Norman & Ramírez (1993) Designing interactive strategy. Harward Business Review July–August 1993 https://hbr.org/1993/07/designing-interactive-strategy
- Vargo, SL, Maglio, PP & Akaka, MA 2008, 'On value and value co-creation: A service systems and service logic perspective', European Management Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 145-52. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S026323730800042X
- Wetter-Edman et al (2014) Design for value co-creation: exploring synergies between design for service and service logic. Service Science 6(2): 106-121.) https://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/pdf/10.1287/serv.2014.0068
- Bitner, MJ, Ostrom, AL & Morgan, FN 2008, 'Service Blueprinting: A Practical Technique for Service Innovation', California Management Review, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 66-94. (this is an old article, but a classic in the sense of introducing one of the central tools in service design)
- Sangiorgi, D 2011, 'Transformative Services and Transformation Design', International Journal of Design, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 29-40. http://www.ijdesign.org/index.php/IJDesign/article/view/940/344
- Burns, C, Cottam, H, Vanstone, C & Winhall, J 2006, Transformation design, Design Council, UK. https://www.designcouncil.org.uk/sites/default/files/asset/document/red-paper-transformation-design.pdf
- J Vink, K Wetter-Edman, M Aguirre (2017) Designing for aesthetic disruption: Altering mental models in social systems through designerly practices. The Design Journal, 2017 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/14606925.2017.1352733
- Jaana Hyvärinen, Jung-Joo Lee & Tuuli Mattelmäki (2015) Fragile Liaisons: Challenges in Cross-organizational Service Networks and the Role of Design, The Design Journal, 18:2, 249-268 (this article introduces a case where human-centerd and collaborative design methods were applied in a cross-sector project, and maps out the role of design in a complex network) https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.2752/175630615X14212498964358
- Meadows and Marshall (2001) Dancing with systems. Whole earth. Winter 2001/106. P58 (This article is about systems and their intertwined relationships) https://donellameadows.org/archives/dancing-with-systems/
- Cantù, D. & Simeone, G. 2010, Creating Scenarios for Regional Projects. Service design for multifunctional and collaborative food networks. ServDes conference, Linköping, Sweden. (This is an example case how design can envision and model large scale systemic change)
- Deserti & Rizzo (2015) Design and organizational change in the public sector. Proceedings of the 19th DMI: Academic Design Management Conference.
OTHER RELEVANT READING
On service design and service logic
- Saco, RM & Goncalves, AP 2008, 'Service Design: An Appraisal', Design Management Review, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 9-19.
- Grönroos, C., & Voima, P. (2013). Critical service logic: making sense of value creation and cocreation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 41(2), 133-150.
On methods and engagements
- Clatworthy, S 2011, 'Service Innovation Through Touch-points: Development of an Innovation Toolkit for the First Stages of New Service Development', International Journal of Design, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 15-28.
- Kankainen, A., Vaajakallio, K., Kantola, V. & Mattelmäki, T. 2011. Storytelling Group - a co-design method for service design. Journal of Behaviour & Information Technology, 1-10. pdf
- Lee, J.-J., Vaajakallio, K. & Mattelmäki, T. 2011. Tracing situated effects of innovative design methods: Inexperienced designers' practices. Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design (pp. 103-113). New York, NY: ACM Press.
- Mattelmäki, T., Brandt, E. & Vaajakallio, K. 2011, 'On Designing open ended interpretations for collaborative exploration', CoDesign Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 79-93. (this article proposes how open-endedness can be a value in collaborative design – both in the process and its outcomes.)
- Blomkvist, J. & Holmlid, S. 2010, Service Prototyping According to Service Design Practitioners, ServDes conference, Linköping, Sweden.
Pirinen, A. (2016). The barriers and
enablers of co-design for services. International
Journal of Design 10(3), pp.27-42.
On wicked problems
Buchanan, R. (1992). Wicked Problems in Design Thinking. Design Issues, Vol. 8, No. 2, (Spring, 1992), pp. 5-21.
Additionally, a selection of papers on internationalization, immigrant integration
This paper looks at immigration services with practical service co-design with public sector.
Helena Sustar, Tuuli Mattelmäki (2017) Whole in One: Designing for Empathy in Complex Systems https://archive.nordes.org/index.php/n13/article/view/531
This one can be a useful ‘tool’ paper while it also addresses immigrants and public services
Fanny Giordano, Nicola Morelli, Amalia De Götzen, Judith Hunziker (2018) The stakeholder map: A conversation tool for designing people-led public services. ServDes Conference 2018.
Good inspiration, and a trigger for conversations:
Kate Mcentee 2017 Becoming Woke: Design Research and Embodied Practice (a design research project explored designing engagements to address issues of structural racism and white privilege. It does does not focus on service design, public sector, internationalization as such, and therefore not a core reading.