In this section, you can find relevant resources for the course.
- 5 Sep: Download
- 12 Sep: Download
- 19 Sep: Download
- 26 Sep: Download
KNOW YOUR GAME
- BA Design (EN) Learning Objectives [INTO page: "Curriculum 2022-2024"]
- Aalto ARTS BA Thesis Guide [INTO page: "Completing your bachelor's thesis"]
- BA Design (EN) Thesis Grading Matrix [Download]
- Five MA study options:
- Collaborative and Industrial Design (CoID), Dept. of Design, Severi Uusitalo [INTO page]
- Creative Sustainability (CS), Dept. of Design, Mikko Jalas [INTO page]
- International Design Business Management (IDBM), Dept. of Design, Peter McGrory [INTO page]
- New Media (New Media), Dept. of Art and Media, Matti Niinimäki [INTO page]
- Visual Communication Design (VCD), Dept. of Art and Media, Arja Karhumaa [INTO page]
- Antti Salovaara's blog Writing about Design and his post on How to define a research question or a design problem [Link]
- Readings for MA study options:
- CoID: Sanders and Stappers. 2008. "Co-creation and the New Landscape of Design." CoDesign. [Download]
- CS: Ceschin and Gaziulusoy. 2016. "Evolution of Design for Sustainability: From Product Design to Design for System Innovations and Transitions." Design Studies. [Download]
- IDBM: Borja de Mozota and Wolff. 2019. "Forty Years of Research in Design Management: A Review of Literature and Directions for the Future." Strategic Design research Journal. [Download]
- New Media: Hayles. 1999. "Simulating Narratives: What Virtual Creatures Can Teach Us." Critical Inquiry. [Download]
- VCD: Börner, Maltese, Ballet and Heimlich. 2016. : Investigating Aspects of Data Visualization Literacy using 20 Information Visualizations and 273 Science Museum Visitors." Information Visualization. [Download]
- Mutual: Aaltodoc (important archive for all publications from Aalto University, including theses)
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- Journal of Service Research
- Journal of Service Management
- Journal of Services Marketing
- Journal of Business Research
- Journal of Consumer Psychology
- International Journal of Consumer Studies
- International Journal of Design
- Design Studies
- Nordes conference archive
- New Media
- ACM Digital Library
- Journal of Visible Language
- Information Design Journal
- Research Catalogue
- Antti Salovaara's relevant blog post:
- How to get access to articles that are not Open Access [Link]
- How the most useful background literature can be found? [Link]
- Aalto University's Research Ethics and Research Integrity [Link]
- Finnish National Board on Research Integrity TENK [Link]
- Turnitin Originality Check [Link]
- Baumbusch, J. (2010), Semi-Structured Interviewing in Practice-Close Research. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, 15(3): 255-258.
- DiCicco-Bloom, B. and Crabtree, B.F. (2006), The qualitative research interview. Medical Education, 40: 314-321.
- McGrath, C., Palmgren, P. J., & Liljedahl, M. (2019). Twelve tips for conducting qualitative research interviews. Medical teacher, 41(9), 1002-1006.
- Crilly, N., Blackwell, A. F., & Clarkson, P. J. (2006). Graphic elicitation: using research diagrams as interview stimuli. Qualitative research, 6(3), 341-366.
- Vaismoradi, M., Turunen, H., & Bondas, T. (2013). Content analysis and thematic analysis: Implications for conducting a qualitative descriptive study. Nursing and Health Sciences, 15(3), 398-405.
- Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2006). Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 3(2), 77-101.
- Graneheim, U. H., & Lundman, B. (2004). Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness. Nurse education today, 24(2), 105-112.
- Sandelowski, M. (2000). Whatever happened to qualitative description?. Research in nursing & health, 23(4), 334-340.
- DesignTalks Series: The Relevance of Design for Research [Link]
- Muratovski. 2015. Research for Designers: A Guide to Methods and Practice. SAGE Publishers [Link]
- Koskinen et al. 2011. Design Research: Through Practice from the Lab, Field and Showroom. O'Reilly [Link]
- Example of Informed Consent Form [Download]